In 1926 a young English woman , Joanna Field, began to feel something was missing from her life. She was unable to feel completely whole and happy because she had never taken the time to discover what really made her happy… brought joy in her life. To remedy this she began a journal to record what ” specifics ” brought instant delight. ( excerpt from Simple Abundance)
Yesterday I decided to take time to do the same thing.
* Communication in all forms but especially calls where talking and listening are involved. I love hearing from family, friends… especially when they share a funny or memorable happy event in their lives… but I especially love hearing from the grandchildren when something special has happened at school or playing sports or social occasions… I hang up feeling happier than when I answered the phone.
* Flowers! Every kind under the sun… not only does their beauty delight me but they are my true listening friends and provide the sanctuary and peace I need when the world gets a little too crazy for me to process.
( My most special moment of happiness each season is when my first moonflower blooms … it never ceases to bring tears of joy to my eyes. )
Yesterday I courageously removed my seedling moonflower plants from my front porch where I had carefully tended to their ” baby” first steps and moved them to the side garden in front of the trellis that their newly developed tendrils were seeking. I said a little prayer that this year will be their most abundant to date! 🙏🏻
* Happiness is good reports back from my oncologist that my cancer is still being ” held at bay” and hasn’t spread elsewhere.
* Instantaneous ( un-pre-planned) surprise outings/ adventures with friends and family
* Always family gatherings… when that quiet moment of magic surrounds me amid the screams and laughter of grandchildren, jokes among adults and happy barks from our beloved pets. My life, for that perfect frozen moment in time is happy… my fortress of felicity!
So until tomorrow… take a few minutes to recognize what daily events bring you instant delight and then remember to leave time for it each and every day!
Today is my favorite day! Winnie the Pooh
Tommy and Kaitlyn are in Dingle, Ireland-they got off to a slow start-instead of leaving at 10 Saturday night they sat on the tarmac in Newark NJ until midnight… but they got there, got their rental car and made it to Dingle.
They got to see Dingle, observe an old vacant cottage from the shore and get settled in their rental overlooking pastures with mother cows and their calves and Dingle Bay! Have fun Tommy and Kaitlyn!!!